London should be the greenest city in the world, the city best prepared for the future. And we can get there with a new Green Mayor.
Right now, Londoners are crying out for a new start. A recovery that raises everyone up and creates a secure future. One we can pass onto the next generation with pride.
With Caroline Russell, I have worked hard for the past five years representing you as a Green London Assembly Member.
Even before the crisis, our work with citizens and campaigners exposed huge problems.
Our renters are in despair, homelessness is rising, traffic is going up, and women and minorities are harmed every day by prejudice and the criminal justice system.
People on the lowest incomes are struggling, and our youth services are being devastated by cuts.
Coronavirus has exposed some of the worst gaps in our systems. But these systems can be changed.
Things can be different and, as your Green candidates for Mayor and Assembly, we have the plans to do it.
Our policies for London are winning support from people all across the city:
WE WILL CREATE THE GREENEST CITY IN THE WORLD
Only a Green Mayor can be trusted with our future. We will:
- Set the right targets to solve the climate and ecological emergency before 2030, and work with all our citizens’ to achieve them.
- Protect green spaces, stop using pesticides, improve woods and wetlands across the city, and create new parks and greener streets.
- Invest more in green energy and new jobs, with warmer homes and new funding to cut fuel poverty.
A CLEAR PLAN TO KEEP LONDON MOVING
Greens want to make it easier to get around for everyone. We will:
- Reduce traffic and cancel the Silvertown Road Tunnel, investing instead in healthy streets, walking, cycling, better buses and new public transport links.
- Flatten fares and create a single zone for tube and rail, just like we have on buses, helping everyone in outer London pay less for travel.
- Make all transport in London zero carbon and non-polluting by 2030
FRESH THINKING FOR HOUSING
Our ideas will help everyone find a decent, secure home. We will:
- Bring more homes under the control of Londoners, with new investment to acquire homes for key workers at a London Living Rent, and more support for co-operative and community-led housing.
- Prevent the loss of council housing by giving more residents the power to vote against demolition, and set up a People’s Land Commission so that people in local areas can make their own plans for new homes.
- Prevent homelessness by working with renters to improve rights and cancel the rent debts built up during the pandemic.
- Rents are too high and making inequality worse. A Green Mayor will not stop pushing the Government until we win the power to set rent controls in London.
ACTION FOR A SAFE AND HEALTHY CITY
Our goal is to keep everyone in our city safe from harm. We will:
- Set clear targets to prevent violence and bring murders down to zero, investing in real prevention to stop violence against women, and services for young people that help them thrive.
- Do more to support good mental health, making it equal to physical health in importance. We will open up more green space and help Londoners connect with each other in their communities.
- Make roads truly safe, by cutting speed limits and investing in road policing.
- Achieve clean air, with an ultra low emission zone to cover all of London, and work to cut traffic and invest in green buses.
A DUTY TO RESPECT EVERYONE’S RIGHTS
Greens will support everyone to live their lives free from discrimination. We will:
- Support freedom of movement, the rights of EU citizens, and fight to end all hostile environment policies that target migrants and refugees.
- Create a city-wide mission to end racism and sexism, support the rights of LGBTIQA+ citizens, young and older Londoners, and break down the barriers faced by disabled Londoners.
- Protect civil liberties and push back on police powers. Hold them to account, stop the use of facial recognition, and roll back the increase in stop and search.
A PROMISE TO SHARE MY POWER
Greens believe in putting power in the hands of the people. We will:
- Bring more diverse voices into decision-making, so more Londoners have real power over policies that affect them, including the Mayor’s budget.
- Do more to win powers from Government for a direct say over taxes, the NHS, education, criminal justice, housing and environment policies – just like in Scotland and Wales.
A MISSION TO TRANSFORM OUR ECONOMY
A Green Mayor is the only choice for a real green recovery. We will:
- Be champions of our high streets and small businesses, building resilience with affordable rents.
- Create green jobs to make, re-use and repair more of the goods and services we need locally.
- Support workers with a new London Living Wage at £14 an hour and flexible, family-friendly standards for employers to meet.
- Open up opportunities for young people with a trial of a Creative Autonomy Allowance – a regular income to help kickstart careers in business and the arts.